Monday 28 November 2016

Crooked Kingdom - Review



Book Review:
Title: Crooked Kingdom
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publisher: Orion's Children's Book

“I would have come for you. And if I couldn't walk, I'd crawl to you, and no matter how broken we were, we'd fight our way out together-knives drawn, pistols blazing. Because that's what we do. We never stop fighting.”

Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn't think they'd survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they're right back to fighting for their lives. Double-crossed and left crippled by the kidnapping of a valuable team member, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known as jurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz's cunning and test the team's fragile loyalties. A war will be waged on the city's dark and twisting streets―a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of magic in the Grisha world.

It has taken me two months to be able to write this review. Two months. Now, part of that reason is because I have been swamped with college work, but mostly it's because I honestly have no idea to how to review this book. It's actually ridiculous. You know when you love something so much that there are simply no words to completely do it justice? That's how I feel writing this review. I can rave about this book for hours on hours, yet nothing I say can really express how amazing this book was.

In my opinion, this book is faultless. If I had to name something I didn't like about this book, the only thing that comes to mind is the fact that it ended. I wanted moreeee!!! This is one of the rare series where the author could release a million books and I would read and devour every single one of them. And the main reason for that is because of the characters. I don't think I've ever loved a group of characters as much as I love the Dregs; they're my little Cinnamon Rolls. I fell in love with them during Six of Crows, and then I fell even more during the sequel.

Crooked Kingdom picks up roughly where we left off from. Inej has been taken and the rest of the Dregs are formulating a plan in order to get her back and get the money that they rightfully earned.
And then of course, once they start carrying out their plan, shit goes down! No joke, this book gave me heart palpitations! At one point, I'd be letting out a squeal of victory, and then, I would suddenly be screaming in frustration. At one point I'd be crying tears of joy, but then I'd be crying tears of sadness. My emotions were played like a fiddle.
I just wanted my Dregs to be happy. And safe. And well-fed. And getting enough sleep.
But honestly, even though this book messed with me, I wouldn't of had it any other way. I believe that the truly amazing books are the ones that can evoke raw emotions from the reader.

(sits for 10 minutes and tries to think about what I can write about without spoiling the entire book. sighhh...)

Okay...lets talk romance!
I find that with most YA novels there's always a hint of insta-love *shudders* and for me, insta-love can really ruin my reading experience. Personally I love a good slow-burn romance, where you can feel the build up of passion; well in Crooked Kingdom, I got exactly what I love. All of the romances in this book progressed beautifully and I constantly found myself swooning (you know, at the few times when shit wasn't hitting the fan.) All of the relationships in this book were beautiful in their own way. Nina & Matthias had a passionate romance. Wylan & Jesper had a banter-filled and adorable romance. Kaz & Inej had a angsty and intense romance. All different, yet they were all just as equally as precious to me.
Also, props to Leigh Bardugo for keeping the relationship between Kaz and Inej realistic. As much as I would have loved seeing them doing all the typical romancy stuff, I'm glad they didn't and that their relationship is progressing at a slow pace. And you know what, even though their relationship is moving at the slowest place, I without a doubt swooned at their moments the most *remembers that one scene...sighs blissfully*

Well, I think I've rambled on enough.
Basically, in short, I absolutely loved this book and I hope that at some point in the future Leigh decides to revisit this world and these characters, because I can never have enough!
 
Without a doubt, one of my Top 10 Reads of 2016 (or even possibly ever!!)
5+ Stars (ALL THE STARS) 
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment